I have not seen the democratization occurred in Western Europe (Spain, Portugal, Greece) in the 70s. And I was young when the peoples of Eastern Europe's communist regimes were swept up in the former USSR in the 80 and 90.
democracy was installed at an astonishing pace in all countries allowing Liberty to extend its web beneficial to millions of human beings.
Since the end of the Eastern bloc, only a few nations have managed to impose democracy.
I have since been rocked with speeches asserting that democracy could not be applied to the Arab world. The fear of religious fanaticism prevents them to move towards the model of governance that we know and somewhere we arranged it well ...
The ongoing revolution in Tunisia, Egypt and what is still a protest in Yemen, Jordan ... are evidence that these comments did not cover the reality.
The Arab people also aspire to more democracy, pluralism, freedom, making an a priori concept "Western," a universal concept, an inevitable march.
We French do not be afraid of democracy in others and especially our neighbors in the Near and Middle East. Accompany it, support it, even if that to our mind a little leniency against dictatorial regimes or at least authoritarian.
I can not conclude this paper without responding to what our Foreign Minister has moved the human consequences of events. I tell him that it is sometimes necessary for the Peoples of the streets to obtain or defend their civil rights and that, sometimes at his expense.
Where would we be if our elders had remained more or less comfortably at home in 1789, 1830, 1848, 1870 or, closer to home, in other circumstances, 1944?
Bravo Tunisian and Egyptian peoples for courage!
0 comments:
Post a Comment